Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Tuesday Talk

- Last night SUCKED! No local hockey to follow online, no World Juniors, and two NHL games, one of which was on TV, and I can't say I care about the Rangers and Bruins. And I'm not the biggest NFL fan, but I'm usually home on Monday nights, so I'll usually at least check in on MNF, and there was none last night either with the regular season wrapping up in Sunday. This time of year I'm always glued to the SJHL and MJHL standings, trying to figure out playoff scenarios, teams' remaining schedules... and I hate having nights where the standings don't move like last night. Tonight: 3 SJHL games, two in the MJ. I'm in Weyburn with the Millionaires.

- I did my 7:45 am editorial on the Canada/States gold medal game, and said the best thing for hockey and for the rivalry would be for the Americans to win. But OF COURSE, I want nothing more than a 6th straight gold for Canada. Basically I was hoping to get a reaction. I've done one of these everyday for over two years and have only had one phone call, which to me... means I'm a brutal editorialist. Should be offending someone more often than that!

- Alright... Canada-USA at 7:00. Mils and Wings at 7:30. I tested it out the other night during the USA/Sweden Semi-Final. TSN.ca on my laptop is exactly 33 seconds behind my TV feed. I asked one of our sales guys yesterday if it's unprofessional to kinda be watching both at once, and he said, 'Nope, you're the sports guy!' I figure I can get my pre game interviews done as soon as we get there, like between 5:30 and 6:30, and then catch most or all of the first period before our game even starts. Then by time our first period's over... I just might be able to watch the last half of the second period of the WJ's. And if I'm really lucky, catch the end during our second INT. As long as I'm not calling Craig Karius Jordan Eberle, etc, I should be able to pull this off!

- Yorkton Terrier Ass't Coach Trent Cassan is leading the Triangle Hockey League's Langenburg Warriors in scoring with 19-goals, 16-assists for 35-points in 8 games. Another former Terrier, Josh Garbutt, leads the entire Fishing Lake Hockey League in scoring with 17-goals, 30-assists, for 47-points in only NINE games, playing with the Theodore Buffalos with other familiar names like Dustin Nehring (11-18-16-34), Bryan Hull (5-7-5-12) and Evan Niebrandt (10-13-21-34).

- Found out from Wayway Wolverines' Coach/GM that Wolverines' 17 year old defenseman Zach Sweet has joined the WHL's Prince George Cougars. As far as I can tell, he hasn't played a game yet. Former Yorkton Terrier Clarke Breitkreuz is also with the Cougars, where he's picked up 1-assist and 6 PIMs in 5 games so far, with a (-1) rating.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Craig;
Happy New Year!
Zach is still out injured (November 27th vs. Winkler), but if all goes well with his rehab in Prince George, he'll be added to their roster in a couple of weeks.
Take care.
Jodi

Craig Stein said...

good for him... thanks for the info. does this mean you'll no longer be a faithrul reader? lol

Anonymous said...

I thoroughly enjoy your blog and we'll certainly be following Wayway still, so you're not getting rid of me just yet!