Sunday, December 4, 2011


Losing an 8 round shootout was all that stood in the way of a perfect weekend for the Swan Valley Stampeders, who grabbed 5 of a possible 6 points on a weekend swing to the city, capped off by a 3-2 shootout loss to the Winnipeg Saints on Sunday afternoon.

The tough part is, the Stamps let a 2-0 lead slip away on Sunday, but I think they'd pretty more than satisfied with the weekend as a whole, as they're all of a sudden just 5 points back of the Wayway Wolverines (who had the weekend off) for third place in the Sherwood Division.

The Stamps only have two healthy 20-year-olds right now, and they both scored, with Beau Taylor notching his 14th of the season, and captain Tony Partridge adding his 7th.

Jayson Argue played all three games on the weekend, and 28/30 shots, and 6/8 in the shootout. Derek Falloon scored the Stamps' only goal of the shootout, after he scored the shootout winner the night before against the Blues.

The Stamps now have three straight home games, starting Friday against the Winkler Flyers.


A late Yorkton Terrier comeback was spoiled by Estevan's Cole Olson, who scored the winner on a powerplay with 16 seconds remaining, as the Bruins beat the Terriers 4-3.

The Terriers were down 3-1 in the third, before Brenden Poncelet scored on a powerplay, and Nathan Murray buried the equalizer with just over 2 minutes remaining.

Then, Chase Norrish almost had his head put through the glass from behind. That wasn't called, but Chase's retaliatory cross-check was (okay, it wasn't THAT vicious, but if the cross-check was a penalty, so was the hit). That was with 50 seconds left in regulation, and the Bruins converted on the powerplay for a third time, to round out the scoring.

The Terriers came inches away from tying it again, when off the ensuing faceoff, Tayler Thompson and Brent Struble broke in on a 2-on-1. Thompson fed Struble, who had a great shooting angle, but he fooled everyone, by sliding it back to Thompson. From my angle it looked like a wide open net... not sure if he fanned on it, hit the side of the net, or if Steven Glass got a skate on it... but it stayed out, and the Terriers dropped their second straight, and now get ready to travel to Kindersley on Wednesday and Battleford on Thursday (both on GX94).

A regulation win would have left the Terriers in a three-way tie for 2nd with Estevan and Melville, but the loss leaves them alone in 4th, 2 back of Melville, 4 behind Estevan. The Terriers and Mils both have 4 games in hand on the Bruins.

The Terriers became the SJHL's last team to hit the midway point of their schedule... and I'll have my Terriers' "Halfway Report" up tomorrow. It's half done now, but I'll finish it up in the morning. Our four teams all hit the midway point in consecutive nights. Wayway Thursday, Swan Friday, Melville Saturday, Yorkton Sunday. The Wolverines don't play again until Friday, so I've got some time to get that one done!


Anonymous said...

whats the deal with Wieler, trying to impress his wife or trying to set a record for most called penalty minutes. As I said before that guy makes the Westen Hockey League look bad never mind the SJHL. That was terrible last night.

Anonymous said...

Maybe I was expecting too much with how they had played recently, but I thought the 2 games this weekend were probably 2 of the worst i've seen this season. The passes were off, one timers missed, passing way too much and when they tried to shoot, it was usually off target. Hopefully, the back luck is out of their system and they can get back to some good hockey later in the week.