Thursday, November 17, 2011

MIX BAG

It's been a few days since I wrote anything here, really. The wireless internet in my room in The Pas wasn't good, and I'd rather not punch out long posts with my thumbs on my phone.

So, some random thoughts from the last few days and what's coming up.

- The Wayway Wolverines lost 4-0 and 4-1 in OCN Tuesday and Wednesday, not long after posting 4-1 and 7-0 wins over the same Blizzard team on home ice.

- It's a different game in OCN, and whether it was the pucks, the ice, or both, pucks were not settling down, and Wayway's skilled forwards and defensemen had nightmares trying to make things happen.

- The 3rd ranked Wolverines' powerplay went 0/15 over the two nights. The ice didn't help, as pucks kept skipping over sticks at the blueline, but OCN managed to go 2/4 with the PP in the two games.

- The Yorkton Terriers ended a 6-game stretch of road games with a 4-0 loss in Weyburn on Tuesday. It was their only regulation loss on the trip, as they went 4-1-1. That puts them back to .500 at 11-11-1.

- The SJHL Hall of Fame Weekend is upon us. The Terriers host the Humboldt Broncos tonight (FRI) in the Hall of Fame Game (7:20/7:30 on GX94). The induction ceremony goes Saturday night at the Gallagher Centre. Tickets are $35 each, to see Darrell Spelay, Gerry James, Gene Krepakevich and Terry Struthers be inducted. I look forward to chatting with all four on Saturday night.

- Russell Trudeau continues to tear things up with the Melville Millionaires. Since his arrival, the Mils are 5-0-1, and in those six games, Trudeau has 7-goals and 7-assists for 14-points. That leaves him tied for 4th on the club, despite playing in just 6 of their 22 games.

- Spencer Bomboir made 24 saves for the shutout, while Dakota Odgers scored the game's only goal, as the Yorkton Harvest beat the Regina Pat Canadians 1-0 on Wednesday night. The Harvest now sit 4-14 on the season.

- Melville Coach/GM Jamie Fiesel is the Head Coach for Team West at the upcoming World Under-17 Hockey Challenge in Windsor, ON, starting December 29th. The roster for Team West was announced this week, and as usual, has 11 Saskatchewan & 11 Manitoba-born 16 year olds, which this year, is players born in 1995. Check out the roster HERE.

- CK750 in Melfort is losing their Sports Director/Play-by-Play guy mid-season. Darryl Skender is leaving the radio business for another career opportunity in B.C. Click his blog on the right for all the details. Darryl came to the SJHL the same season I did, and called games in the BCHL before that. He's got a young family and he feels this new opportunity is better for him and his wife and kids. Trust me, I wrestle with that every single day too. For now though, I'm still having too much fun, and my daughter still recognizes me when I get home! But being gone at night, sometimes for a couple, or a few nights in a row isn't easy when I know who's at home without me. On a sidenote, here's my endoresment for Branden Crowe to succeed Darryl in his role at CK 750. He's the junior news/sports/Play-by-Play guy now, and I've heard him in spurts, and he's excellent at calling games. Definitley WELL beyond his years. And, with Dan O'Connor and Darryl, two guys who entered the league the same year as me, no longer in the SJ, I'm now the longest serving Play-by-Play guy in the league next to Rob Hart in Flin Flon. Yikes! Seems like yesterday I was the new guy! Lots of turnover in radio, but five years has gone by super fast.

- OH! And my little girl turns 1 1/2 today (Friday). Bailey's 18 months old, which is crazy, and she was a lamb for Halloween this year.


You'd wanna be home more often too! What a sweetie.

No comments: