Monday, July 18, 2011

Found My Way Back

Well it's July 18th and it's my first day of work in July!

Two weeks of vacation days, plus a long weekend, made for a nice stretch away from it all, and it was long enough to get me looking forward to coming back.

The early wake up call was tough to re-acquaint with, but I'll get back in the swing of things.

---------

What happened while I was gone?

- The Riders lost three times, and looked bad doing it.

(Hey Bomber fans, did I chirp you when you were 4-14 last year?! I guess people like seeing a giant fall. I just love when people beak when it's early, and hope they eat crow)

- The SJHL Schedule came out, I think the day before my holidays. I'll hammer out a broadcast schedule once the Showcase Schedule is set. Last year I did back to back games on the Sunday and that was it. This year, I could really be in tough, because the Riders play on the Sunday, and we carry Rider games, so Sunday's out... Saturday night's out as usual. The station wouldn't let me do Friday afternoon last year. So I gotta hope for Friday night/Saturday afternoon.

- The Yorkton Yankees and Swan River Reds were knocked out of the SESBL playoffs by the Melville Bison and Willowbrook Royals respectively. The Semis start this week with the Yorkton Jr Cardinals vs Melville, and Willowbrook taking on Canora.

- The Yorkton Cardinals got back in the WMBL playoff race. They won four straight games at the beginning of the month, and are 6-4 in their last 10. They had a huge 3-2 win over Regina yesterday, and celebrated their 10th anniversary. $3 beers and +30. The Cards, who were also off Thursday-Saturday, also don't play tonight. They host Swift Current tomorrow and Wednesday.

- The Melville Millionaires became the hottest team in the WMBL. Their 4 game winning streak is the best active streak, and they're a season-high two games over .500 at 18-16, and are getting a good grip on 2nd place in the East, now three games up on Weyburn. The Mils are in Saskatoon - Edmonton - Edmonton - Saskatoon, tonight through Thursday.

- Swan River learned that they've got a 50/50 chance of hosting an Episode of TSN's SportsCentre, and winning $25,000 for their community with the Kraft Celebration Tour. Voting runs from 11:00 am MB time tomorrow (Tuesday) until 11:00 am Wednesday morning. www.kraftcelebrationtour.ca Voting is unlimited, so click and click lots!

- I played two rounds of golf, doubling my total from all of last year. Shot a 102 at the Willows in Saskatoon, and a 95 at Deer Park in Yorkton. My playing partner Trent Cassan slightly edged me with an 82! I think I could shoot in the 80's if I played more... but it ain't always easy to find an extra 4 or 5 hours in a day. Deer Park Media Day is this Friday though... where all of Yorkton's Media can play a quick 9-hole Scramble. The GX tournament is in August, followed by the Terrier Tournament. So still some time to shave some strokes!

- Now I gotta work TWO FULL WEEKS before getting another week off! Gotta use up my days... hockey's coming quicker than we think!

No comments: