Monday, March 28, 2011

It's the "Week Of"

Seems like only yesterday I said, "the SJHL Final seems so far away."

Well, three days from now, the Yorkton Terriers leave for La Ronge, where they'll meet the Ice Wolves for Games 1 & 2 of the SJHL Credit Union Cup final, exactly one year after making the same trip.

Three days, and I've got a pile of stuff to do!

Last year, our Sales Department dropped the bomb on me the day before leaving that they'd sold so many commercials, that my Pre Game Show would be lengthened from 15 minutes to half an hour. I panicked for a few minutes, phoned/emailed a couple guys in the WHL who I know run 30 minute Pre Games, picked their brains, and by time we were on the air, I was jacked to have such a long Pre Game Show to set up the biggest games of the year. It wasn't the extra work as much as it was the short notice, but I basically added a 5-10 minute feature right off the top of the Pre Game, which could be anything. Then a 2 or so minute recorded chat with a player, and then 3-5 minutes with each coach... and, of course the extra commercials filled the rest of the time.

So, as of this morning, I have no idea how long the Pre Game's are! I do know I want more than 15 minutes, even if the broadcasts aren't sold as much as last year. Might go 20 minutes, or maybe go right after the Canadian Press News/Sports, Local Sports/Weather, be on at about 7:05 and have a 25 minute show.

My wheels are turning with some ideas and I'm really excited about one for sure... which I plan to run before Game 1. I'll keep a couple feature ideas under my hat for now... but a few guys I've already lined up include:

- Kevin Stringfellow (Former Terrier, Game 7 overtime hero in Kindersley last year, just won the Fishing Lake Hockey League title in Theodore)

- Kirk Byczynski (Former Terrier, plans to shave his head for cancer again, just like he did during his 20 year old season).

- Chad Nehring (Former Terrier, just wrapped up 4 years at Lake Superior State NCAA, now in the pro ranks with the Idaho Steelheads, ECHL)

- Daniel Fink (Voice of the Ice Wolves, whom I've met in person for about 20 seconds! Look forward to chatting more!)

- Jamie Fiesel (Melville Coach... just held spring camp, and got great news about their new rink.)

Obviously this won't all run during Games 1 & 2... have to hold some stuff for 3 & 4, and beyond.
The Terriers practice Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday at 11:30, before leaving for La Ronge Thursday afternoon. I plan check out at least a couple or three skates, to get some audio to run during the week on the sports.

I seriously can't believe it's been a year since these two teams went through this. It seems like a couple months ago, the guys loading the bus in shorts (the weather better change quick for that to happen again), stopping at Dairy Queen for a send-off... tonnes of school kids were waiting for the bus outside DQ with signs, and DQ Owner Mark Butchko bought EVERYONE on the bus, whatever, and how much they wanted. I think everyone milked it, and got a combo AND a Blizzard for the road. Of course DQ was flooded out and construction on the new one is just about to start... so I'm not sure if someone else will do something similar... just throwin' it out there! Not just looking for a free burger... the guys couldn't believe the reception, and it meant a lot to them.

One of the Terriers told me in a text on Thursday, the day after winning the Sherwood Conference, "I wish we could start today!" I think that was the consensus, but I'm sure it was good to get away from it all for a couple days, and get back to work this morning. The Terriers weren't exactly the healthiest team in the league heading into playoffs, so a little down time can't be a bad thing.

One thing's for sure, this year's Terrier team should be a lot more "fresh" heading into the final. It took 16 games to reach last year's final (4 MVL, 5 WEY, 7 KIN), while it took this year's bunch, who bypassed the Survivor Series, only 8 (4 EST, 4 KIN). La Ronge isn't far off. They took 15 games to get to the dance last year (3 HUM, 6 FF, 6 BAT), compared to only 10 this time (5 FF, 5 MFT).

I'm not sure if there's a fan bus going to La Ronge, but I should find that out today. I'd be surprised if there wasn't. They sent one for Games 1 and 2 last year, and being a weekend, I can't see there being an issue filling at least one bus... unless there's something else going on in La Ronge and hotels are packed or something. I'll get the details on here as soon as I know!

I was at the Kinsmen Arena Sunday afternoon, broadcasting Game 2 of the Pee Wee 'A' Provincial Final, and was surprised to see no less than 8 members of the Terriers, in jersies, march onto the ice to sing "Oh, Canada" prior to puck drop (bad quality picture below!). Kudos to Blaine Tendler, Keon Vick, Devon McMullen, Clarke Breitkreuz, Robbie Ciolfi, Zak Majkowski, Brenden Poncelet and Kevin Cann for being good sports! They got a little ahead of the music early, but pulled it together for a dynomite finish!

Yorkton beat the Battleford Barons 6-3, and won the total-goal series 11-7.

I've got one more Minor Hockey game to stay sharp, and that's tonight (MON) when the Melville Millionaires Midget "AA" team hosts the Regina Wild in Game 3 of their Best-of-Three South Sask Consolation Final. Melville won Game One 3-2 on home ice Wednesday, and lost Game Two 2-1 Thursday in Regina. Should be a good one, and good to get to Melville Stadium again, which now, could be the last time, with the recent good news about the new building.

Enjoy the week, hopefully March goes out like a lamb, and get ready to cheer on the Terriers in the SJHL Final!

No comments: