Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Anybody Out There???

As voice of the SJHL's Yorkton Terriers and Melville Millioniares, and the MJHL's Swan Valley Stampeders and Wayway Wolverines, I'm kicking around the idea of adding a blog to the coverage of the 2008-09 season. Well, this is the blog, and I'm kicking around the idea of updating it regularly... I figured I'd start it now, see what kind of feedback it gets (you can leave comments), and see if it's worth continuing throughout the year. It'll be MAINLY hockey, and MAINLY about the 4 Jr 'A' teams we cover, but I'll probably toss in some "AAA" Midget (Yorkton Harvest and Parkland Rangers), and anything else local really. A lot of the material will be recycled from what I use on the air at GX94, and will just add to the exposure with the use of the internet. Most people listen to the radio everyday, but EVERYONE seems to be on the computer everyday, so it's a good chance to get some extra coverage to these local clubs.

The reason I got the idea is because I spend a few minutes every morning reading other guys' blogs, so I figured it'd be neat to have my own. A few very good ones I read almost daily, sometimes more than once, are Voice of the Swift Current Broncos Jon Keen (http://www.jonkeen.blogspot.com/), Broncos' colour man Ryan Switzer (http://www.ryanswitzer.blogspot.com/), Voice of the Kelowna Rockets Regan Bartel (http://www.reganbartel.blogspot.com/). There's a great one right here in the SJHL at http://www.redwingsblog.ca/. Troy Kramm from the Weyburn newspaper started that and won SJHL Media of the Year, largely because of it, along with his newspaper coverage, and colour commentator Brad McNeil also posts there. Voice of the Kindersley Klippers Darren Dupont has a blog at the Klippers' webiste. But the cream of the crop is Voice of the Riders and Regina Pats Rod Pedersen (http://www.rodpedersen.blogspot.com/). Roddy never goes a day without updating his blog, and it's always informative and/or entertaining, full of pictures, interviews, etc. It's LITERALLY cream of the crop. He won 1st prize for Best Sports Blog in CANADA this year, he gets thousands of hits per day. I would guess at least half of the WHL play-by-play guys are doing the blog thing, and it seems to be catching on in the Jr 'A' ranks too, so I figured 'why not me?'

Anyway, I'll let this sit for a little while, see if anyone stumbles across it, and then hopefully make it a regular thing.

Happy Summer!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey there Craig. Troy K here. Looks good man. Glad we got more people on board with this. The bigger the community the better!

Craig Stein said...

Thanks Troy, think i'm getting a handle on things. Appreciate the comment!